People often ask me how I find inspiration. I will respond with something visual and tangible, an image, a book or magazine, a movie I saw or just getting out and capturing those things that interest me most. Inspiration is also something I get from other people doing amazing things. As a photographer, you can only imagine what our jobs would be if we didn’t have our eyesight. Our eyesight is everything to us. It is how we communicate through our images.
A friend of mine from college called me last week. She had a friend who needed help “getting the word out” about his disease. She had worked with him in the past and asked if I would help.
The gentleman my friend was speaking of is EJ Scott. The disease is slowly taking his eyesight. He will eventually go completely blind. He is 36 years old. The disease is a rare inherited retinal degenerative disease that causes blindness and has no cure. It is called Choroideremia.
Last year he ran the Chicago Marathon, blindfolded.
This year he is running 12 marathons in 12 months in 12 US Cities in 2012, all blindfolded. EJ is running 314.4 miles, blindfolded, for charity!
One of the 12 EJ Scott is running in is here in St. Louis, Missouri. The Go St. Louis Marathon on April 15th 2012. I am helping get the word out and fundraise here in St. Louis. We are hoping to get a few sponsors, events and an improv show set up to raise money. If anyone is interested in donating or sponsoring EJ Scott for the GO! St. Louis Marathon, please contact me at email@example.com. You can donate for EJ’s cause directly through the foundation, Choroideremia.org here.
Please follow EJ Scott on twitter @EJScott and @12marathons2012. Follow EJ on Facebook.. Help spread the word!
He already ran the one in Phoenix in January. He runs the Austin Marathon in February.
Here are all the cities he plans to run in 2012. He needs video of him running in the races. If you own a video camera or flip or even an iPhone, come out to cheer him on and take a video or two!
1) Sun January 15th – Rock n Roll Arizona Marathonhttp://runrocknroll.competitor.com/arizona
2) Sun February 19th – Austin marathon http://youraustinmarathon.com/
3) Sun March 18th – Los angles marathon http://www.lamarathon.com/
4) Sun April 15th – Go! St Louis marathon http://www.gostlouis.org/
5) Sun May 20th – Rite Aid Cleveland marathon http://www.clevelandmarathon.com/
6)Sat June 23rd – Rock n Roll Seattle marathon http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/seattle
7)Tue July 24th – Desert News marathon Race Series Salt Lake City, ut
8)Sat August 18th – Fallsburg – Lowell, MI
9) Sat September 15th – Krolls Diner Bismark marathon – North Dakota
10) Sun October 7th — Bank of America Chicago marathon
11) Sun November 4th — NY ING NYC marathon
12) Dec first weekend yet to be announced date for Las Vegas , NV
Please check out his recent visit to the Dr. Drew show.